Personal space defines the personality of an individual. Use of unique or luxurious materials such as gold leaf, mother of pearl adds a subtle texture and creates a glamorous or spectacular feature on the walls, floor, furniture, accessories, etc. Interior designer Deeksha Khatree lists the different luxurious materials that can be used to enhance the decor element of a space.
This gives the space a royal or antique look. It can be used to beautify objects in several ways.
- Gold leaf can be used in wall-hung paintings. The canvas can be treated with gold leaf.
- The gold leaf design can be created on border of mirrors to give antique look to your dresser or bathroom. This can be clubbed with gold leaf vases and gold leaf lamp/ light to complete the look of the space.
- Use it on furniture to give it an antique feel.
- Clocks are available with gold leaf. These watches complete the antique look of your living area when clubbed with gold leaf furniture.
- Cover the wall with gold leaf to give it a powerful look, rich texture and royal feel. Gold leaf can be applied on the wall opposite to the entryway or wall of stairs going up from living room, any one wall of drawing room or wall at the back of bed in bedroom, etc.
- Use this decor material on the wall mixed with vintage and contemporary photography to get a unique look.
- You can also apply it on the false ceiling.
- When used in mouldings/capitals of the pillars, gold leaf looks attractive.
- Use this decorative element on MDF to create partitions and wall paneling.
Mother of pearl
Sparkling and dazzling mother of pearl is alluring as a luxurious natural material with its opulent pearlescent finish. It is a blend of material secreted by certain shellfish and mollusks to coat their shells as a form of protection. Mother of pearl is a ecofriendly choice and is available in various colours from classic pearly white to a soft rose pink color or even darker variations that can include grey black tones.
- It can be used as a tiling option in bathrooms.
- Flooring is another place where you can use mother of pearl to gain an aesthetic feel.
- This luxury material can also be used in marquetry to add a lovely texture and detail to beautifully veneered pieces from jewelry boxes to furniture.
- It can also be used to clad the exteriors of a building.
- Use it is small sizes to get a glamorous finishing touch for the table-top.
This is a form of quartz stone and can be backlit to get an amazing ambience. Available in white, yellow, orange and grey colours, this delicate decorative material can also be sourced in the form of tiles.
- Onyx can be used on flooring with less foot traffic.
- Use it to highlight a wall of the living or drawing area or the bar counter top.
- Small onyx water features can be kept in the living area to add an aesthetic touch.
- Hanging and standing lamps in onyx is another excellent option.
- Do not use onyx in kitchen and bathrooms as it is very delicate and can get damaged.
When used in interiors, stainless steel is composed of 18% chromium and 10% nickel. SS sheets are available for interior and exterior uses which give both fine and noticeable finishes. Its advantages include withstanding temperature extremes, resistance to corrosion and durability. It is easy to clean as well.
- It is commonly used in cladding and to decorate exterior facades.
- SS sheets can be used in the form of paneling in different colours to decorate a wall or highlight a wall in a room.
- Use it to make hand railing of staircases.
Brass and copper
Copper and brass don’t come cheap, but they are strong and durable in nature.
- Both materials can be used on bedframes to give the room an antique look.
- Both brass and copper can be used as decorative mirror frames.
- Showpieces and functional items give a look of richness and luxury.
Sorce: Home Online